Level Up Your Camping Game: Embracing Reusables for a Greener Adventure!
5 minutes to read
Getting ready for a camping trip and hitting the road is like gearing up for an adventure. But let’s be real, packing can be a bit of a challenge, especially when it comes to storage space in your cars while trying to minimize waste as much as possible. We all know that single-use items tend to be a big part of our camping checklists, leaving us a mountain of trash and a guilty conscience. Adding all the dirty clothes piling up, it can get messy and crowded in the car more than we’d like.
Thankfully, there’s a game-changing solution: reusables and zero waste essentials. These alternatives can not only help lighten the load and be more eco-friendly, but they can also bring a whole new level of convenience to our outdoor escapades. Let’s explore the world of these essentials that will change how you camp, be more sustainable and leave no trace!
- Breaking up with single-use
- Unleashing the power of reusables
- Say goodbye to bulky travel sizes
- Going on a green adventure
Common plastic utensils, plates and cups
Breaking up with single-use
Let's be honest—we've all relied on those convenient disposables we use only a few times or even just once during camping trips. Think plastic plates, disposable cutlery, and individually wrapped everything. Those single-use items, while convenient, leave behind a trail of plastic waste. Paper isn’t too much help either as while it is better, it still is a waste and throws away dollars that could have been spent on something else or even reusables.
Transitioning from relying on single-use to embracing reusables and other practices for your trips might feel like a big change at first. The World Economic Forum shares seven great principles to follow to help leave no trace and here are 3 simple tips that you can take in first to steer you in the same direction:
- Plan and Prepare: Take some time to plan and make a list of the items you'll need and where reusables could step in. This could include reusable utensils, plates, bowls, water bottles, food storage containers, and cloth napkins. Having a comprehensive checklist like the one the Eco Hub shares in depth in their guide will ensure you don't forget anything essential and also figure out what reusables you can try out for the trip.
- Embrace Your Inner Minimalist: Simplify your camping setup by bringing only what you need. By avoiding unnecessary items, you'll reduce the temptation to resort to single-use alternatives and streamline your camping experience.
- Practice Mindful Consumption: Be mindful of the products you purchase for your camping trips, wildlife and those around you. Opt for items with minimal packaging or choose products from eco-conscious brands that prioritize sustainability.
Being prepared is the ultimate practice to being much more sustainable and when we say go with reusables, we don’t mean completely right away! You can change everything overnight but you can try out a few things at a time.
Unleashing the power of reusables
There are more benefits to reusables and zero waste than you might think about. These trusty companions not only reduce waste, but they can also save you money in the long run, be healthier and safer to use and shift your camping experience for the better. In fact, you might find them much more convenient.
For example, ever thought about how you could still enjoy your essential oils on the road? Wooden diffusers are perfect for those long drives and have so many reasons why you should opt for one instead of those trees hanging on your rear view mirror.
There's a world of reusable goodness waiting to join your camping gear collection and while there's a ton we could recommend for on-the-go, thrifting is always a great option for something more affordable to start. Remember to keep the long term in the picture and invest in those quality items where you can!
Say goodbye to bulky travel sizes
One thing that’s always bothered me is how expensive those travel sizes can be and in situations where I have to limit the amount of liquids when travelling, those bulky containers and refilling is such a hassle. That’s just one of many reasons why you should cut down on those plastic bottles and opt for concentrated bars filled with plant-based ingredients that are just as powerful and refreshing, if not better than what you already use.
Dishwashing soap is one of many types of bars that you can bring along and its possibilities go beyond just washing dishes. Some ways you can make the most out of a dish soap bar in the great outdoors include:
- Dishwashing: Of course, the main use of a dish soap bar is for washing dishes, pots, and other camping gear. Wet your sponge or dishcloth, rub it against the soap bar to create a lather, and clean your dishes as you normally would. Rinse them thoroughly with water afterward.
- Personal Care & Hygiene: When you opt for a natural handmade soap bar, these can be friendly to use on your body without drying out your skin. Especially for those hands, you can use it to keep clean without having too many products.
- Laundry: If you're in need of washing small clothing items, such as socks or underwear, you can use the dish soap bar to create a makeshift laundry detergent. Just wet the garment, rub the soap bar onto the fabric, and lather it up. Rinse thoroughly with water and let it dry.
- Stain Removal: Accidents happen, more so in the wilderness and stains can be stubborn. These bars are powerful enough to cut through grease and eliminate stains. This method works well for fabric stains or even hiking boots that need a little extra TLC.
So whether you’re bathing in the wilderness or in a cabin with running water, these compact bars are the way to go to reap their natural benefits for your hair, skin and the dishes or clothes you may wash.
Going on a green adventure
By ditching disposables and embracing sustainable alternatives like a solid dish soap bar you'll reduce waste, save money, and leave a positive impact on the environment. But don't stop there—bring along a whole team of reusable heroes, from reusable bags and food storage to cutlery, and watch your eco-friendly camping game soar. Together, we can continue to enjoy the great outdoors while keeping Mother Earth happy and healthy for generations to come!
Camping and travel-friendly swaps to try